If you have evacuated from the city, do not return until you have been notified that the evacuation order has been lifted. Unsafe condition may exist in the city long after the storm has passed. The lifting of a mandatory evacuation order will be publicized in the local media.
When you return home please follow these safety procedures:
Avoid weakened bridges and washed out roads. Do not drive into flooded areas.
Roads may be closed for your protection. If you come upon a barricade or a flooded road, turn around and go another way.
Stay on firm ground. Moving water only 6 inches deep can sweep you off your feet. Standing water may be electrically charged from under-ground or downed power lines.
Check gas, water, and electrical lines and appliances for damage.
Do not drink or prepare food with tap water until you are certain it is not contaminated.
Avoid using candles and other open flames indoors. Use a flashlight to inspect for damage.
Use the telephone to report life-threatening emergencies only.
Be especially cautious if using a chainsaw to cut fallen trees.
On November 20th, FEMA announced that Hurricane Harvey survivors receiving Transitional Shelter Assistance may receive an extension to stay temporarily in hotels while they look for an alternative place to live. Disaster survivors with a continuing need for the hotel sheltering program may be extended to January 16th, 2018. Hurricane Harvey survivors who recently applied for assistance will be notified automatically of their eligibility. To be considered eligibility, disaster survivors must be registered with FEMA for disaster assistance, and meet other eligibility criteria. You can find the list of eligible hotels at http://www.femaevachotels.com/ or by calling FEMA at 800-321-3362.
Texas General Land Office Housing Programs
The Texas General Land Office is encouraging all residents impacted by Hurricane Harvey to register for assistance before the deadline on Friday November 24th. You can register for assistance at:
Through FEMA's Mobile app at fema.gov/mobile-app
By phone at (800) 621-3362
Or at the local Disaster Recovery Center in Dickinson (2401 Termini St).
Homeowners who receive a determination from FEMA Federal Emergency Management Agency that their permanent residence has more than $17,000 of FEMA verified damage will be considered for short-term housing assistance.
Renters who receive a determination that their property has sustained major damage or was destroyed will also be considered for short-term housing assistance.
The Texas General Land Office will be contacting those eligible for short term FEMA housing.
All flood-dampened surfaces should be cleaned, disinfected and dried as soon as possible. Mold can begin to grow in as little as 24-48hrs of waters receding.
Follow these tips to ensure a safe and effective cleanup:
• Open windows for ventilation and wear rubber gloves and eye protection when cleaning. Consider using a mask rated N-95 or higher if heavy concentrations of mold are present.
• Use a non-ammonia soap or detergent to clean all areas and washable items that came in contact with floodwaters.
• Mix 1-1/2 cups of household bleach in one gallon of water and thoroughly rinse and disinfect the area. ***Never mix bleach with ammonia as the fumes are toxic.***
• Cleaned areas can take several days to dry thoroughly. The use of heat, fans and dehumidifiers can speed up the drying process.
• Check out all odors. It’s possible for mold to hide in the walls or behind wall coverings. Find all mold sources and clean them properly.
• Remove and discard all materials that can’t be cleaned, such as wallboard, fiberglass and cellulose areas. Then clean the wall studs where wallboard has been removed, and allow the area to dry thoroughly.
Some of the below resources are from previous events, but still apply for cleanup after the recent floods:
As of November 13, 2017 Crowder-Gulf has completed the third and final pass for debris removal within the City of Dickinson. As of this date, debris removal is the responsibility of the property owner to make arrangements for. Republic Services will not be removing storm debris with its regular trash pickup.
The cost of debris removal for the entire city is estimated to be approximately $11 million. FEMA is able to cover 90% of the cost of debris removal while the City is responsible for the remaining 10%. On December 20, 2017 Gov. Greg Abbott presented the City with a check for $1.25 million to go towards the previously incurred costs of debris removal.
Residents and private contractors having debris to dispose of are asked to use the Republic Services Galveston County Landfill, 3935 Ave. A, Santa Fe, Texas.